Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I wish I spoke Spanish!

Hola!!!

Woot, woot, woooohooo woot!We got back from an AMAAAAZING vacay! We were in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic and it was the best-trip-ever.  The entire fam went - yep all 3 kiddies and mom & pop.
Our friends got married on a beautiful Wednesday afternoon on the beach.  The resort behind us, and the sand beneath us...the Atlantic Ocean in front of us...it was wonderful.  I think next time I get married (um...I mean renew my vows people!) I will do it in a tropical locale.


Travelling with the kids was actually much easier and enjoyable than anticipated.  The first night in Montreal before our flight was not fun.  I began to worry that the entire trip would be whiny, crying, fighting, refereeing, and q2min bathroom breaks (that's nurse talk for every 2 minutes, FYI).

The kids got better, and the entire trip did not consist of whining, crying, fighting, refereeing, however it did consist of what felt like q2min bathroom breaks. 
That's yet another bonus of having boys..."Oh just pee on the palm tree and walk away quickly!" haaaaaaaaaaa!


I have had a few people ask how I prepared for the trip and what things were helpful to bring to an all inclusive resort when travelling with small children.

Here is my list (in no particular order)

- white wine for the hotel the night before the flight.  Oh crap, this is supposed to be about the kids right?
Okay, I'll try again...

- SNACKS.  Lots of them. Yes, you may be going to an all inclusive resort, but do you really want to run to the buffet every time Timmy wants a little nibble?  No.  Bring a large box of Nutrigrain bars at least. 
I bought small bags of Smartfood, Sunchips and Cheezies (thank-you Costco) as well.  Pretzels, Goldfish, whatever you like.  We also brought a huge box of PC granola bars - chocolate covered of course. 
I also brought soy milk for my little lactose intolerant dude.  I had 2 cartons left over & left it for our cute little maid Francio Del Rosario.  I just love her name so I had to type it all out.  : ) 


- POOL TOYS. From the dollar store!  Sure, you can buy them at the resort, but a) it will cost you your first born and b) they may not have what Timmy wants.  Get a few things a head of time.

- SAND TOYS - see above regarding your first born.  Pack clothes inside the pails.

- life jacket or other quality flotation device. 
I meant to bring the puddlejumpers we have for the little boys, but I forgot.  Thankfully there were inflatable life jackets available in the resort store. They only charged $8 per jacket. 
To be honest, I would've paid $20.  I could relax somewhat knowing that my kids were toddling around with their life jackets on...rather than worrying they were going to fall in the pool the entire time.


- A STROLLER for the little ones. My youngest is almost 3 so I didn't think he would need one.  I ended up mooching a stroller off our friends a few times, and I wished I had brought one too. We used it mostly for naptime, but it was so handy to have!

- GUM for the plane

- Crayons & colouring books and stickers for downtime (again, head to the dollar store - you can leave the maid or other staff whatever you don't use.  It's nice, do it!)

- iPhone, iPad or other fun devices.  Nintendo DS perhaps? Charge 'em before you leave!

- Drugs.
This is important:

For the kids:
Advil

Tylenol
Gravol
Benadryl

Bug spray depending on where you are going (D.R was flagged with malaria for a little while)
Sunscreen. Bring more than you think you'll need. Spray on is my new favourite thing.  Enjoyed it so much I bought a 2nd bottle of SPF 25 in the resort store for the amazing price of $20 USD. So worth it.

For the adults:
same as above, but add Pepto Bismol, Immodium, Advil Cold & Sinus (or other similar product)
- first aid kit with gauze, polysporin, bandaids etc.

I brought antibiotics in case of travellers diarrhea.  Check out your local health unit for more info.
None of us got sick, woot woot!
Don't eat the pasta salad, you'll be fine!


We did not immunize against Hep A.  We did not take Dukoral.  We did not drink or brush our teeth with the water.  I showered with pursed lips. I know I have a little bit of OCD, but that's okay.

I came home relaxed and refreshed. I am tanned and my Vitamin D has finally returned to borderline normal values...I have a week off at the end of April & I'm already trying to convince the hubby to go away again.   I'd like to go somewhere that I can practice my Spanish.

So far, I know 3 very important phrases:Vino Blanco por favor?
Cerveza por favor?

Gracias!

: )
Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment