Friday, February 4, 2011

Cabin Fever

Is anyone else finding winter really LONG this year?
Excruciatingly LONG? 

I am SO done with winter. I've done my duties pulling the sled around the neighbourhood endlessly, shovelled the driveway multiple times, and put on mittens, boots, hats, snow pants a million times by now - and I don't think that's an exaggeration.


Winter is seeming to be never ending this year - and it could be due to the fact that I'm working out of the house only one day a week & I start to get a little cabin feverish when the temperature plummets to -15 or -20 degrees Celsius and we're all stuck indoors.  Little boys' wrestling matches are inevitable...it's even worse if it occurs while I'm trying to get them dressed for the frigid temperatures...darnit, I just turned my head for a minute to find one matching pair of mittens and poof, they are rolling all over the mudroom floor and THEN all of a sudden all the winter gear they were wearing has somehow been removed.  Arghhhh!

Add a husband who is doing non-stop renovations to our new "income property" and I can officially say I have cabin fever.  Ummmmm, adult conversation anyone?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for getting outside in the winter months to play and run off energy but when the wind chill is THAT chilly I think it's inhumane to be outdoors for long periods.


So I've started to be a little more creative lately to keep the kids busy.
We've done the regular crafts, painting and colouring activities.
We've baked brownies, muffins and banana bread....

I've even searched for nursing jobs in Florida...(No, I'm not kidding)

C'mon honey, couldn't we move there, even just for a couple of years 'til the kids can put their OWN mitts, scarves, hats, boots and snowpants on?

Okay, so realistically to pass the time on those long cold days, we've had a few other fun ideas - and my oldest gets credit for the first one!

Here are a few things we've been doing at our house beat the winter blues & cabin fever:

1) After buying the boys new swimming gear (hats, swim shirts and trunks) for our upcoming trip to the Dominican Republic, it became ISLAND time in our living room.
Everyone wore their sunny weather gear, we took the pillows off the couch and even used the dog's bed as an "island". They had so much fun playing this, I even served them dinner on their respective "islands".

2) Playgroups - We've been checking out the local playgroups in our city. Yes, you have to leave the house, but it's worth the trek in the cold weather once you arrive to the playgroup.  It's free and the kids have a great time playing with different toys and different kids. They usually have crafts and circle time too - 2 1/2 hours of relaxing play time, doesn't get much better!

3) Help mom clean.  Okay, it sounds a little mean, but they love this, I swear.  All you need is a spray bottle, some cloths or paper towels, and vinegar & water.  With supervision, they spray the windows, and floors with this natural cleaning product...and voila, my house is cleaner, and the kids are entertained. They are so proud that they "helped" mom : )  

4) Bath time in the daytime -- they love this too. After they're done, I wrap them up in towels and dry their hair with my hair dryer. Again, they think this is the greatest thing! If the timing's right, they get dressed into warm clothes right from the dryer.  So sweet. (And a few less items for me to fold, even sweeter)

5) Dance! This is probably our favourite activity.
No Americano is our new favourite song. The boys dance to this and love every minute. I've gotten it on video a few times & they think it's hilarious to watch it afterwards. I also recently downloaded the "Hey" hockey anthem (c'mon, you know all the words: Hey...heyyyyyy ... hhhhhhey) And remember 2 Unlimited??  They eat it up!

Here's a little Jersey Shore video for you to enjoy -- my boys dance to the same song the Jersey boys do...but I have to say, I think mine are much cuter : )




: )
Well, that's all for now - I hope you're keeping safe and warm!


What are you doing to beat cabin fever at your house this winter?

No comments:

Post a Comment