Sunday, September 12, 2010

Boys just want to have fun

I've come to a conclusion:



My boys make me so much more fun than I would ever be without them.



I had started co-coaching soccer with Brian a little earlier in the summer.



My true friends are chuckling, for they know that my athletic prowess is...despicable....less than desirable to put it nicely. I'm a little lanky, uncoordinated and have never really been one for organized sports.


However, as with bug hunting, frog catching, fishing, playing soccer baseball and other boy-ish type activities, I am now somewhat becoming an expert. I did even did some research on the game of soccer...how to be a good coach with age appropriate games, and training. Trains, hot wheels, trucks, NASCAR....you name it. I love it. I'm also getting to be an expert Lego builder. Star Wars, here I come!

I was talking with my brother one day and said, yeah it's pretty cool what having these boys has made me do and try.


Crazy rides at the amusement park, insane water slides that I probably would never have normally even considered trying. But I couldn't say NO to my oldest sons pleas - PLEASE mom, you gotta try it with me! Of course I tried it with him.


The other day when we were out on the lake fishing at the cottage, I felt a taptaptap on my shoulder....I turned around and saw half of our bait (WORMS!) sitting on my shoulder. My little guy was grinning ear to ear as I picked up the worms and brushed the dirt from my shoulder. "Ewwwww" I squealed, much to his delight. I think he figures this is all part of the desensitization process for his very girly mother.


After further discussion with my brother, it was discussed that this is just par for the course with boys.... As in, do you think you'd be doing all these things if you had sweater wearing Jack Russells instead of sons?


Of course the answer is NO. My boys make me a better person, bottom line.


I realize that kids, no matter their gender, will change your life. Lately, since we've been discussing the "no more babies" as a final decision, I have those moments when I'm admiring the dressed-in-pink-frilly-hair-in-pig-tails girls in the grocery line-up and wistfully daydream about what life would be like with a daughter. I then, of course think of my sons, what they've taught me & always quickly remember how blessed I am to have three wonderful boys.
The best part of it is, I'm so thankful for them because they've made me a better mom.

I've had some great experiences and tried things I never would have tried without them....they've taught me a lot about being a well-rounded mom...and I'm now a more well-rounded worm-touchin' girl too.



: ) Keri

No comments:

Post a Comment